Dr. Smita Guha is a professor and also a vocalist. She has been singing since she was three years old and has been performing
in India and in the United States.
Smita started learning Bengali modern songs under Shree Sailen Mukherjee and had her first record at age 9. She is Sangeet Prabhakar and Sangeet Bhushan in North Indian (Hindusthani) Classical and Rabindra Sangeet and Gita Prabha from Bengal Music College. Additionally, she had been trained in North Indian (Hindusthani) Classical and bhajans from Pt. Ajoy Chakrabarty and Tagore's songs from Shree Prasad Sen and Smt. Srimati Suchitra Mitra.
Recently she had been performing with the famous music icon singer and director, Mr. Bappi Lahiri and made an album with him titled: Indian Melody. She performs with Bhajan Samrat Anup Jalota. She also sings on TV Asia, ITV, Times TV USA and has been performing in DurDorshon, All India Radio, Tara TV, Ruposhi Bangla, Srijan TV, CTVN, Uttor Bangla and Aakash Arth and also on live concerts.
She had been teaching music to the children and adults in different genres for over 27 years. She helps her students become accomplished musicians.
218-12 Hartland Avenue,
Aspiration-Ground Meditation Garden
J C Event Hall
5775 Jimmy Carter Blvd, Norcross, GA 30071
Contact : (864) 606-4466
Winchester McCall Middle School
458 Main St
Winchester, MA 01890
Rabindra Sangeet is a rare style of music practiced by only a handful of skilled vocalists, including that of Dr. Smita Guha. A vocalist with training in Bengali modern music from a young age, Smita brings these colorful...Read Article
Dr. Smita Guha, Associate Professor at St. John’s University and Pandit Ajoy Chakrabarty, legendary Indian Classical Vocalist, have opined that there is a relationship between Indian Classical music and mathematics learning. This study has indicated that children who learned Indian...Read Article
Mail: [email protected]
|November 15, 2015||Merit award from New York State Assembly|
|November 1, 2015||Distinguished person award from the state of New York|
|June 2, 2019||Performance with Pt. Anindo Chatterjee, NY|
|May 19, 2019||Rabindra Jayanti. Indian Consulate, NY|
|May 10, 2019||Asian Heritage, NY|
|April 27, 2019||Fund raising for Hindu Center, Queens, NY|
|April 12, 2019||Baishaki, Queens, NY|
|April 13, 2019||Association of Indian American Educators and Akhil Viswa Hindi Samiti, Queens, NY|
|March 30, 2019||Puja performance, Staten Island, NY|
|March 16, 2019||Organized a program for her students, The Rising Stars, Queens, NY|
|February 24, 2019||Vocal performance for puja and for fund raising for Indian soldiers, Queens, NY|
|February 23, 2019||Organized a program and sang for fund raising for Indian soldiers, Queens, NY|
|February 9, 2019||Saraswati pujo, Prabasi, Boston, MA|
|January 21, 2019||All India Radio|
|January 9, 2019||DoorDarshan, Kolkata|
|November 4, 2018||Diwali Dhamaka, Connecticut|
|October 15, 2018||Bangladeshi Hindu Mandir, NY|
|October 8, 2018||ITV channel on Durga pujo|
|September 13||Guru Shishya Parampara, New York|
|September 9||Ganesh Puja, Philadelphia, PA|
|June 3, 2018||Indo-American senior citizens of New York, Queens, NY|
|April 15, 2018||Baldwin Kali Mandir, New York (organized performances for her students during Naba barsho with her students).|
|April 14, 2018||Wallingford Bengal Centennial Lion Club, Connecticut.|
|January 21, 2018||Baldwin Kali Mandir, New York (organized performances for her students during Saraswati pujo)|
|December 29, 2017||Performance at Asansol, with Shree Anup Jalota|
|December 22, 2017||Ruposhi Bangla TV channel, Kolkata|
|December 19, 2017||Aakash Art TV channel, Kolkata|
|October 20, 2017||National Anthem/ Welcome for Consultate General of India, New York|
|October 7, 2017||Lakshmi Pujo, Kollol, New Jersey|
|October 6, 2017||Durga Pujo, ECDPA, New York|
|September 17, 2017||Sang to raise fund for the “Street Children”, India|
|September 15, 2017||Durga Pujo, ECDPA, New York|
|July 10, 2017||One hundredth Anniversary, Lion's Club International, NY|
|June 24, 2017||Vaishnav Temple of New York|
|June 10, 2017||Yoga Day at Queens Museum|
|February 21, 2017||Times TV, USA International Mother Language|
|January 11, 2017||Srijan TV, Kolkata|
|January 6, 2017||DoorDarshan, DD Bangla TV|
|January 3, 2017||All India Radio|
|December 27, 2016||Hindi Bhasha Samiti Program with Padmashree Shree Anup Jalota,|
|December 26, 2016||TARA TV, Kolkata|
|December 22, 2016||Ruposhi Bangla, Kolkata TV|
|October 10, 2016||Bangladesh Hindu Mandir, NY|
|October 2, 2016||Durga Pujo, Ghoroa, Philadelphia, PA|
|September 24, 2016||Sadhu Vaswani Mission, NY|
|September 9, 2016||Akhil Viswa Hindi Samiti, Hindu center, NY|
|September 3, 2016||India Fair with Bappi Lahiri, NJ|
|August 20, 2016||Shoni Mandir, NY|
|July 23, 2016||ITV Gold Interview as a singer and scholar, NY|
|June 18, 2016||Program with Bhajan Samrat Anup Jalota, NJ|
|May 28, 2016||Kobi Jayanti, Bengalees of New England, Boston, MA|
|May 21, 2016||Celebrating music composers from Aligarh University,AAINA, NY|
|March 13, 2016||Welcome reception for New Consulate General, Royal Albert Hall, New Jersey|
|December 28, 2015||Uttor Bangla, India (recorded for 31st Dec and Jan. 1st, 2016)|
|December 27, 2015||Uttor Bangla, India (live) 8:30 am to 9:00 am|
|December 26, 2015||CTVN India (live) 7:30 am to 8:00 am|
|December 25, 2015||TV, BD Today, Channel 10, Channel 71 (recorded)|
|December 24, 2015||RPlus India (recorded)|
|December 23, 2015||DoorDorshan, Garey Bairey, Kichu Kotha Kichu Gaan 2:10-3:00pm|
|December 22, 2015||24 hour TV channel, India (recorded)|
|December 21, 2015||All India Radio, India (recorded)|
|December 20, 2015||Voice of America (recorded)|
|December 20, 2015||Chanel I (recorded)|
|December 20, 2015||Monn TV (recorded) on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kodR4ErOasc|
|December 20, 2015||Ruposhi Bangla (live), India 7am to 9 am|
|November 22, 2015||Bangladeshi Bijoya Sanmelan, Gujrati Samaj, NY|
|November 18, 2015||Senior’s Golden Paradise at Sani Temple for the elderly people|
|November 15, 2015||Queens, NY|
|November 15, 2015||Diwali Program for Business Association, YMCA, NY|
|November 1, 2015||Diwali Program, World Marina, NY|
|October 21, 2015||Durga Pujo Georgia, Atlanta|
|October 20, 2015||Durga Mandir, NY|
|June 20, 2015||World Yoga Day, Hanuman Mandir, Long Island, NY|
|January 6, 2015||Shrutinandan, Kolkata, India|
|November 8, 2014||Hindu Temple at Delaware (with Mr. Bappi Lahiri)|
|May 31, 2014||Hindu Temple at Delaware (before Smt. Koushiki Chakraborty and Pt. Ajoy Chakrabarty)|
1. Guha, S. Healthy Children: How Parents and Teachers Can Help To Prevent Obesity. Rowman & Littlefield, MD. (currently under contract)
2. Guha, S. (2014). Today’s Youth, Tomorrow’s Leaders: How Parents and Educators Can Influence and Guide the Learning Process. Rowman & Littlefield, MD.
1. Guha, S. & Chakrabarty, A. (Fall 2015). Music and mathematics learning: Relationship between Indian Classical Music and Mathematics. Journal of Global Awareness. 15 (1), 5-13.
2. Guha, S. (Summer, 2015). Lending a Helping Hand: A School in India for Children Who are Blind. Childhood Explorer, 2(3), 25-28.
3. Guha, S. (Sept./Oct., 2013). A Historical Journey in Science Education through Role Playing. Teaching Science, 59 (3). 45-49.
4. Guha, S. (2012). It’s More Fun Than It sounds – Enhancing Science Concepts Through Hands-on Activities for Young Children. Teaching Science. 58 (1), 41-45.
5. Guha, S. (2011). Teachers collaborating with parents to promote nutrition education to Children to control obesity. Problemy Wczesnej Edukacji / Issues in Early Education, 3(15), 137-142. Please note that this article is published in both English and Polish.
6. Soundy C., Guha S. & Qiu, Y. (May, 2007). Picture Power: Placing Artistry and Literacy on the same Page. Young Children, 62(3), 82-88.
7. Guha S. (March, 2006). Using Math Strategies in Early Childhood Education as a Basis for Culturally Responsive Teaching in India. The International Journal of Early years, 14 (1), 15-34.
8. Guha S. (2003). Are we all technically prepared? Teachers’ perspective on the causes of comfort or discomfort in using computers at elementary grade teaching. Information Technology in Childhood Education Annual, 2003(1), 317-349.
9. Leonard J & Guha S.(Oct. 2002). Creating culture relevance in teaching and learning mathematics. Teaching Children Mathematics. 9,(2), 114-118.
10. Guha S. (Summer, 2002). In pursuit of learning: Educational programs for at-risk children in India. Childhood Education.78 (4), 206-209.
11. Guha S. (May, 2002). Integrating mathematics for young children through playful activities. Young Children. 57(3), 90-92.
12. Guha S. & Leonard J. (Jan/Feb. 2002). Motivation in Elementary Mathematics: How Students and Teachers Benefit from Computers. TechTrends 46 (1), 40-43.
13. Guha S. (2001) Integrating Computers in Elementary Grade Classroom Instruction – Analyses of Teachers' Perceptions in Present and Preferred Situations. Journal of Educational Computing Research. 24 (3), 275-303.
14. Guha S. (2001). e-Teaching: Development and implementation of Early Childhood Education course. Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education. 22(4), 231-236.
15. Leonard J & Guha S. (Fall 2001). Education at the Crossroads: Online Teaching and Students’ Perspectives on Distance Learning. Journal of Research on Technology in Education. 34(1), 51-57.
16. Guha S. (Summer, 2001). An Effective Way of Teaching Early Childhood Education On-line. Childhood Education 77(4), 226-229.
17. Guha S. (Feb. 2001) Teaching in the Digital Age: Significant Factors Relating to Elementary Grade Teachers’ Usage of Computers for Classroom Instruction. Journal of the Research Association of Minority Professors 5 (1), 1-24.
18. Guha, S. and Doran, R (Oct. 1999) Playful science activities for young children. Science and Children 37(2), 36-40.